Know programs, models or initiatives that invest in key education priorites for Hispanics? Nominate (or self-nominate) a Bright Spot in Hispanic Education to be included in our national online catalog. The extended deadline is now July 31, 2015. Questions? Email Maria Pastrana at Maria.Pastrana@ed.gov.
September 2015 marks the 25th anniversary of the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics (Initiative) and to commemorate this, U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and the Initiative launched the “Anniversary Year of Action: Fulfilling America’s Future” from October 2014 through September 2015.
The Anniversary Year of Action is comprised of three types of elements:
- Commitments to Action: Private, nonprofit, and state and local sectors will invest in increasing educational outcomes and opportunities for Hispanic students. (Submittion Deadline: June 30 2015)
- Outreach Activities across the country that gather Latino community leaders, share information about federal resources and investments, and highlight educational progress,
- A National Blueprint will assess the state of education in the Latino community, emphasize the Obama Administration’s asset-based narrative leveraging data about federal investments in education, and bring attention to key policy recommendations that will further expand educational opportunities and outcomes for the Hispanic community. Specifically, the national blueprint will identify the Hispanic community’s educational gains, gaps, and trends over the past quarter century, and present key policy recommendations for leaders and stakeholders across various sectors (federal, state, local, institutional, business, etc.) who focus on the nation’s future education agenda.
Recognizing that the success of our country is a shared responsibility, the Initiative is committed to engaging leaders from all sectors to invest in meaningful, lasting approaches to increasing access and success for Latino students from cradle to career in the following critical areas:
*NEW* FACT SHEETS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Hispanic Educational Progress Timeline – 1990 to 2015 [PDF, 5MB]
- Hispanics and Adult Education and Workforce Training [PDF, 296KB]