25 YEARS OF FULFILLING AMERICA’S FUTURE
September 2015 marks the 25th anniversary of the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics (Initiative) and to commemorate this, U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and the Initiative launched the “Anniversary Year of Action: Fulfilling America’s Future” from October 2014 through September 2015.
The Anniversary Year of Action is comprised of three types of elements:
- Commitments to Action: Private, nonprofit, and state and local sectors will invest in increasing educational outcomes and opportunities for Hispanic students.
- Outreach Activities across the country that gather Latino community leaders, share information about federal resources and investments, and highlight educational progress,
- A National Blueprint will assess the state of education in the Latino community, emphasize the Obama Administration’s asset-based narrative leveraging data about federal investments in education, and bring attention to key policy recommendations that will further expand educational opportunities and outcomes for the Hispanic community. Specifically, the national blueprint will identify the Hispanic community’s educational gains, gaps, and trends over the past quarter century, and present key policy recommendations for leaders and stakeholders across various sectors (federal, state, local, institutional, business, etc.) who focus on the nation’s future education agenda.
Recognizing that the success of our country is a shared responsibility, the Initiative is committed to engaging leaders from all sectors to invest in meaningful, lasting approaches to increasing access and success for Latino students from cradle to career in the following critical areas:
All Anniversary Year of Action Printable Resources
- 25th Anniversary Overview [PDF, 511KB]: This document provides an overview of the 25th Anniversary Year of Action.
- Commitments to Action Overview [PDF, 336KB]: This document provides an overview of the Commitments to Action including a break out of each critical area with goals and examples, Commitment criteria, and steps to developing a Commitment.
- Commitments to Action Submission Form Template [PDF, 356KB]: This document provides a complete list of questions that must be addressed in order to submit a commitment. MS Word Version [196KB]. Commitment Guidance Online Submission
- Initiative Timeline: Includes Hispanic education progress and Initiative milestones since 1990. [PDF, 5MB]
- Frequently Asked Questions: Anniversary Year of Action [PDF, 619KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions: Commitments to Action [PDF, 256 KB]