Education Department Announces 161 Students to be Honored as 2022 U.S. Presidential Scholars
Education Department Announces 161 Students to be Honored as 2022 U.S. Presidential Scholars
U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona today announced the 58th class of U.S. Presidential Scholars, recognizing 161 high school seniors for their accomplishments in academics, the arts, and career and technical education fields.
"Our 2022 Presidential Scholars represent the best of America, and remind us that when empowered by education, there are no limits to what our young people can achieve," said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona. "Today, I join President Biden to celebrate a class of scholars whose pursuit of knowledge, generosity of spirit, and exceptional talents bring our nation tremendous pride. Throughout one of the most trying periods in our nation's history and amid our recovery from the pandemic, our students have once again demonstrated their strength and that they have so much to contribute to our country. Thanks to them, I know America's future is bright."
The White House Commission on Presidential Scholars selects scholars annually based on their academic success, artistic and technical excellence, essays, school evaluations and transcripts, as well as a demonstrated commitment to community service and leadership.
Of the 3.7 million students expected to graduate from high school this year, more than 5,000 candidates qualified for the 2022 awards determined by outstanding performance on the College Board SAT or ACT exams or through nominations made by chief state school officers, other partner recognition organizations and YoungArts, the National Foundation for the Advancement of Artists.
As directed by Presidential Executive Order, the 2022 U.S. Presidential Scholars are comprised of one young man and one young woman from each state, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, and U.S. families living abroad, as well as 15 chosen at-large, 20 scholars in the arts and 20 scholars in career and technical education.
Created in 1964, the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program has honored over 7,900 of the nation's top-performing students. The program was expanded in 1979 to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional talent in the visual, literary and performing arts. In 2015, the program was again extended to recognize students who demonstrate ability and accomplishment in career and technical education fields.
The Presidential Scholars Class of 2022 will be recognized for their outstanding achievement this summer with an online recognition program.
A complete list of 2022 U.S. Presidential Scholars follows and is also available at http://www.ed.gov/psp.
Scholars for the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program
* Scholar for U.S. Presidential Scholar in Arts.
** Scholar for U.S Presidential Scholar in Career and Technical Education.
- AL – Madison – Yewon Lee, James Clemens High School, Madison, Alabama.
- **AL – Montgomery – Hailey Mackenzie Mullins, Brewbaker Technology Magnet High School, Montgomery, Alabama.
- AL – Vestavia – James Shi, Alabama School of Fine Arts, Birmingham, Alabama.
- AK – Fairbanks – Ian J. Lee, Lee Home School, Fairbanks, Alaska.
- AK – Fairbanks – Bonnie Grace Marriott, West Valley High School, Fairbanks, Alaska.
- Canada – Calgary – Alessandro Greco, Western Canada High School, Calgary, Canada.
- **Japan – Okinawa City – Aiden Baldree Toole, Kadena High School, Okinawa City, Japan.
- Russia – Moscow – Elaine Kathryn Feller, Anglo American School Moscow, Moscow, Russia.
- AZ – Chandler – Isaac H. Kan, Desert Vista High School, Phoenix, Arizona.
- **AZ – Glendale – Salil Naik, Mountain Ridge High School, Glendale, Arizona.
- **AZ – Mesa – Lydia Marie Pastore, Red Mountain High School, Mesa, Arizona.
- AZ – Scottsdale – Katelyn Sarah Cai, BASIS Scottsdale Charter, Scottsdale, Arizona.
- **AZ – Scottsdale – Ayva Francesca Kacir, Desert Mountain High School, Scottsdale, Arizona.
- AR – Bentonville – Saahas Parise, Bentonville High School, Bentonville, Arkansas.
- AR – Rogers – Rachael Baltresa Thumma, Bentonville High School, Bentonville, Arkansas.
- *CA – Fremont – Reva Srivastava, Mission San Jose High School, Fremont, California.
- *CA – La Canada Flintridge – Miye Sugino, La Canada High School, La Canada, California.
- CA – Menlo Park – Katherine Spivakovsky, Menlo Atherton High School, Atherton, California.
- CA – Rancho Palos Verdes – Andrew Chi, Palos Verdes Peninsula High School, Rolling Hills Estates, California.
- CA – Rancho Palos Verdes – Vivien He, Palos Verdes Peninsula High School, Rolling Hills Estates, California.
- *CA – Woodland Hills – Madeleine Elaine Case, Viewpoint School, Calabasas, California.
- CO – Colorado Springs – Danny Cho, Pine Creek High School, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- CO – Highlands Ranch – Rishika Kartik, St. Mary's Academy High School, Englewood, Colorado.
- CT – Niantic – Aditya Kabra, East Lyme High School, East Lyme, Connecticut.
- CT – W. Hartford – Maya Prafulla Shah Palanki, Conard High School, West Hartford, Connecticut.
- **DE – Bear – Karen Netto, MOT Charter High School, Middletown, Delaware.
- DE – Hockessin – Arjan Singh Kahlon, The Charter School of Wilmington, Wilmington, Delaware.
- DE – Hockessin – David Ziqi Yan, The Charter School of Wilmington, Wilmington, Delaware.
- DE – Newark – Claire Andreasen, The Charter School of Wilmington, Wilmington, Delaware.
- **DE – Newark – Sreeya Pittala, Newark Charter Junior/Senior High School, Newark, Delaware.
District of Columbia
- DC – Washington – Astor Y. Lu, Sidwell Friends School, Washington, District Of Columbia.
- DC – Washington – Gemma Lee Maltby, Sidwell Friends School, Washington, District Of Columbia.
- FL – Boca Raton – Alexander James Stone, West Boca Raton Community High School, Boca Raton, Florida.
- *FL – Miami – Caroline Luanna Berthin, Design & Architecture Senior High School, Miami, Florida.
- *FL – Miami Beach – Zoe Goldemberg, Design & Architecture Senior High School, Miami, Florida.
- FL – Sarasota – Edward Shen, Pine View School, Osprey, Florida.
- FL – Tallahassee – Dylan Epstein-Gross, James S. Rickards High School, Tallahassee, Florida.
- FL – Tallahassee – Sandhya Kumar, Lawton Chiles High School, Tallahassee, Florida.
- FL – Tarpon Springs – Melinda Liu, Palm Harbor University High School, Palm Harbor, Florida.
- FL – Wellington – Miles Kai Wang, Alexander W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts, West Palm Beach, Florida.
- *FL – Wellington – Kailey Rose Worontsoff, Alexander W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts, West Palm Beach, Florida.
- GA – Blakely – Charlye Allen, Early County High School, Blakely, Georgia.
- GA – Canton – Ty Anthony Hubert, Creekview High School, Canton, Georgia.
- **GA – Cumming – Ayush G. Gundawar, South Forsyth High School, Cumming, Georgia.
- HI – Honolulu – Sascha Pakravan, Punahou School, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- HI – Kailua Kona – Kea E. Kahoilua-Clebsch, Kealakehe High School, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.
- ID – Boise – Katharine Elizabeth Turcke, Boise High School, Boise, Idaho.
- ID – Idaho Falls – Logan N. Frey, Thunder Ridge High School, Idaho Falls, Idaho.
- IL – Lisle – Henry L. Xie, Naperville North High School, Naperville, Illinois.
- **IL – Naperville – Rishi Patel, Waubonsie Valley High School, Aurora, Illinois.
- **IL – Naperville – Jaisnav Rajesh, Waubonsie Valley High School, Aurora, Illinois.
- **IL – Naperville – Piya Shah, Waubonsie Valley High School, Aurora, Illinois.
- IL – Oak Brook – Jui Khankari, Hinsdale Township High School Central, Hinsdale, Illinois.
- IN – Carmel – Kevin Wang, Carmel High School, Carmel, Indiana.
- IN – Newburgh – Sneha Yelamanchili, Signature School, Evansville, Indiana.
- IA – Bettendorf – Kavya Kalathur, Pleasant Valley Community High School, Pleasant Valley, Iowa.
- **IA – Chariton – Maxwell J. Aulwes, Chariton High School, Chariton, Iowa.
- IA – Iowa City – Jonathan Chen, West High School, Iowa City, Iowa.
- KS – Fort Scott – Shekhar Kumar Gugnani, Fort Scott High School, Ft Scott, Kansas.
- *KS – Leawood – Jordin Reese MacKenzie, Blue Valley North High School, Overland Park, Kansas.
- KS – Overland Park – Gauri Yadav, Olathe North High School, Olathe, Kansas.
- KY – Lexington – Grayson N. Kemplin, Henry Clay High School, Lexington, Kentucky.
- KY – Lexington – McKenna Sun, Paul Laurence Dunbar High School, Lexington, Kentucky.
- LA – Baton Rouge – Alexander Fraser Landreneau, Catholic High School, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- LA – Lafayette – Anil Cacodcar, Episcopal School Of Acadiana, Cade, Louisiana.
- LA – Shreveport – Ashini Modi, Caddo Parish Magnet High School, Shreveport, Louisiana.
- ME – Bar Harbor – Sirohi G. Kumar, Mount Desert Island High School, Mount Desert, Maine.
- ME – West Gardiner – Brett J. Palmer, Gardiner Area High School, Gardiner, Maine.
- MD – Clarksburg – Sarah Rachel Thomas, Clarksburg High School, Clarksburg, Maryland.
- MD – Potomac – Dhruv Bhandarkar Pai, Montgomery Blair High School, Silver Spring, Maryland.
- MA – Andover – Elizabeth Yini Zhang, Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts.
- MA – Shrewsbury – Aryan Kumar, Advanced Math and Science Academy, Marlborough, Massachusetts.
- MI – Ann Arbor – Ryan Puran Tang Wang, Greenhills School, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- *MI – Interlochen – Joshua C. Brown, Interlochen Arts Academy, Interlochen, Michigan.
- MI – Plymouth – Claire Swadling, Plymouth-Canton High School, Canton, Michigan.
- MN – Minneapolis – Dedeepya Guthikonda, Edina High School, Edina, Minnesota.
- MN – Saint Paul – Minkai Li, Woodbury High School, Woodbury, Minnesota.
- MS – Greenwood – Dia Chawla, Pillow Academy, Greenwood, Mississippi.
- MS – Petal – Ritchie Hao-Zun Yang, Petal High School, Petal, Mississippi.
- MO – Columbia – Kyle Y. Chen, Columbia-Rock Bridge Senior High School, Columbia, Missouri.
- MO – Saint Louis – Teresa Jiang, John Burroughs School, St. Louis, Missouri.
- MT – Big Sky – John Hanson Wigglesworth Chadwell, Lone Peak High School, Big Sky, Montana.
- MT – Bozeman – Brooke Janyne Bothner, Bozeman High School, Bozeman, Montana.
- MT – Great Falls – Ashton Reed Blake, Charles M. Russell High School, Great Falls, Montana.
- NE – Kearney – Isabella Q. Cao, Kearney High School, Kearney, Nebraska.
- NE – Omaha – Jonathon W. Cenovic, Brownell Talbot School, Omaha, Nebraska.
- NV – Henderson – Jang Gun Choe, Clark High School, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- NV – Reno – Julianna E. Schneider, Davidson Academy of Nevada, Reno, Nevada.
- NH – Concord – Ke Nicole Du Hu, St. Paul's School, Concord, New Hampshire.
- NH – Lee – Vincent H. Xiao, Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, New Hampshire.
- NH – Portsmouth – Lilia R. Potter-Schwartz, Portsmouth High School, Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
- NJ – East Brunswick – Carson He, East Brunswick High School, East Brunswick, New Jersey.
- NJ – Morganville – Emily Gao, Marlboro High School, Marlboro, New Jersey.
- NJ – New Vernon – Skylar Sargent Walters, Madison High School, Madison, New Jersey.
- NM – Albuquerque – Isabel N. McCabe, McCabe Home School, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- NM – Cedar Crest – Quinn Ennis, Albuquerque Academy, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- *NY – Bronxville – Grace Gramins, Bronxville High School, Bronxville, New York.
- *NY – Brooklyn – Anya Graciela Jiménez, Professional Performing Arts School, New York, New York.
- NY – Irvington – Brooke Dunefsky, Irvington High School, Irvington, New York.
- NY – Jericho – Ethan Anthony Chiu, Syosset High School, Syosset, New York.
- *NY – New York – Eason Rytter, Fiorello H. Laguardia High School of Music and Art and Performing Arts, New York, New York.
- NY – New York – Eileen K. Ye, The Brearley School, New York, New York.
- *NY – Rye – Sean Yu, Rye High School, Rye, New York.
- **NC – Bostic – Kayla McKenzie Moore, East Rutherford High School, Forest City, North Carolina.
- NC – Chapel Hill – Benjamin Brown Knight, Chapel Hill High School, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- NC – Chapel Hill – Dheepthi Mohanraj, The North Carolina School of Science & Mathematics, Durham, North Carolina.
- ND – Bismarck – Chance Bowlinger, Century High School, Bismarck, North Dakota.
- ND – Dickinson – Luke R. Mavity, Dickinson High School, Dickinson, North Dakota.
- *ND – Fargo – Quoc Vi Bui, Interlochen Arts Academy, Interlochen, Michigan.
- ND – Fargo – Yaoyi Ma, North High School, Fargo, North Dakota.
- OH – Beachwood – Evelyn K. Zhang, Beachwood High School, Beachwood, Ohio.
- OH – Dublin – Alexander Joseph Torres, Hilliard Davidson High School, Hilliard, Ohio.
- OK – Oklahoma City – Aishwarya Swamidurai, Classen School of Advanced Studies, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
- OK – Sapulpa – Isaac Walker, Holland Hall School, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- **OK – Washington – Brighton E. Snow, Washington High School, Washington, Oklahoma.
- OR – Portland – Jenny Duan, Jesuit High School, Portland, Oregon.
- OR – Portland – Kyler Ye-Cheng Wang, Lincoln High School, Portland, Oregon.
- PA – Bryn Mawr – Adamya Aggarwal, Haverford School, Haverford, Pennsylvania.
- PA – Sewickley – Hannah Haewon Shin, North Allegheny Senior High, Wexford, Pennsylvania.
- *PA – Wayne – Stella Lei, Conestoga High School, Berwyn, Pennsylvania.
- PR – Dorado – Liliana Maria Davila, Tasis School in Dorado, Dorado, Puerto Rico.
- PR – Guaynabo – Alejandro Ricardo Cacho, Colegio San Ignacio de Loyola, Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico.
- RI – Barrington – Lucy B. Dreier, Barrington High School, Barrington, Rhode Island.
- **RI – Cranston – John T. Soscia, Cranston High School West, Cranston, Rhode Island.
- RI – East Greenwich – Kyle Chen, East Greenwich High School, East Greenwich, Rhode Island.
- SC – Beaufort – Anna M. Brown, Beaufort High School, Beaufort, South Carolina.
- SC – Greenville – Nyah Joudeh, Riverside High School, Greer, South Carolina.
- SC – Spartanburg – William Maxwell Booker, Spartanburg High School, Spartanburg, South Carolina.
- SD – Aberdeen – Jordan Phillips, Central High School, Aberdeen, South Dakota.
- SD – Sioux Falls – Davis Q. Shafer, Washington High School, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
- TN – Brentwood – Greta Li, University School of Nashville, Nashville, Tennessee.
- TN – Germantown – Shawn X. Meng, White Station High School, Memphis, Tennessee.
- TN – Knoxville – Cristine Chen, L&N STEM Academy, Knoxville, Tennessee.
- TX – Austin – Siddh Bamb, Liberal Arts and Science Academy, Austin, Texas.
- **TX – Brownsville – Jorge Adrian Jasso, Homer Hanna High School, Brownsville, Texas.
- *TX – Dallas – Tomek Marczewski, St. Mark's School of Texas, Dallas, Texas.
- *TX – Grand Prairie – Isabella Grace Gueck, Grand Prairie High School, Grand Prairie, Texas.
- *TX – Lucas – Ella Reaugh, Lovejoy High School, Lucas, Texas.
- **TX – San Antonio – Tristan Matthew Lee, Theodore Roosevelt High School, San Antonio, Texas.
- TX – Spring – Emma G. Hamilton, Oak Ridge High School, Conroe, Texas.
- **UT – Murray – Alan Z. H. Mo, Skyline High School, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- UT – North Logan – Gary Zhan, Logan High School, Logan, Utah.
- *UT – Salt Lake City – Malavika G. Singh, West High School, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- UT – Sandy – Danju Zoe Liu, Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah.
- VT – Burlington – Rebecca Cunningham, Burlington High School, Burlington, Vermont.
- VT – South Burlington – Sriram Sethuraman, South Burlington High School, South Burlington, Vermont.
- *VA – Arlington – Maya Koenig, Washington-Liberty High School, Arlington, Virginia.
- VA – Falls Church – Helen J. Dunn, Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology, Alexandria, Virginia.
- VA – McLean – Benjamin Choi, The Potomac School, McLean, Virginia.
- *VA – Norfolk – Ayana Ashanti Askew, Booker T. Washington High School, Norfolk, Virginia.
- VA – Potomac Falls – Uma Pillai, Potomac Falls High School, Sterling, Virginia.
- WA – Kelso – Kelso J. Cosgrove, Kelso High School, Kelso, Washington.
- WA – Seattle – Haley Zimmerman, Lakeside School, Seattle, Washington.
- WV – Morgantown – Alice Z. Guo, Morgantown High School, Morgantown, West Virginia.
- WV – Morgantown – Luke M. Watson, University High School, Morgantown, West Virginia.
- WI – Delafield – David E. Arthur, Marquette University High School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- **WI – Middleton – Daphne Joyce Wu, Middleton High School, Middleton, Wisconsin.
- WI – Verona – Ananya Krishna, James Madison Memorial High School, Madison, Wisconsin.
- **WI – Waupun – Cameron David Pokorny, Waupun Senior High School, Waupun, Wisconsin.
- WY – Cody – Isabelle Radakovich, Cody High School, Cody, Wyoming.
- WY – Laramie – Keegan Allen Miller, Laramie High School, Laramie, Wyoming.