About the 8 Keys
- A voluntary initiative through the Departments of Education, Veterans Affairs, and Defense.
- Highlights specific ways that colleges and universities can support veterans.
- Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
- Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
- Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
- Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them (even if limited in size).
- Collaborate with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
- Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
- Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
- Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.
- Kirkwood Community College, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Saint Joseph's University, Philadelphia, PA
- Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ