1) Learning: An approach to learning that engages and empowers all learners, in particular high-needs students, in an age appropriate manner, through the use of high-quality content aligned with college- and career-ready standards (as defined in this document), frequently updated data about individual student progress, and intervention support options.
With the support of parents, teachers, and other educational support specialists and personnel, students:
- Understand the relevance of what they are learning to their lives and goals;
- Define learning and development goals linked to college- and career-ready standards (as defined in this document), understand how to structure their learning to achieve them, and measure progress towards those goals;
- Identify and access multiple ways of learning, such as self-driven, peer-driven, instructor-driven, and collaborative ways;
- Are able to be involved in learning experiences in areas of personal interest; and
- Develop skills such as goal-setting, teamwork, critical thinking, communication, creativity, and problem-solving, in addition to mastery of critical content.
With the support of parents, teachers, and other educational support specialists and personnel, students are provided the strategies and tools to advance, track, and manage their learning, including:
- A variety of high-quality instructional approaches and environments matching learning and development goals with individual student performance, optimal learning approaches (e.g., discussion, project-based learning, videos, audio, manipulative), and interests;
- High-quality content, including digital learning content (as defined in this document) as appropriate, aligned with college- and career- ready standards (as defined in this document);
- Use of a personalized learning plan (as defined in this document) that includes the provision of ongoing and regular feedback, including, at a minimum:
- Frequently updated individual student data that can be used to determine progress toward mastery of college- and career-ready standards (as defined in this document) and competencies; and
- Personalized learning recommendations based on a student's current knowledge and skills aligned with college- and career-ready standards (as defined in this document), and available content, instructional approaches, and supports; and
- Accommodations and evidence-based strategies for high-needs students (as defined in this document) to ensure they are on-track toward meeting college- and career-ready graduation requirements (as defined in this document).
Mechanisms are in place to provide training and support to students to ensure that they understand how to use the tools and resources provided in order to track and manage their learning.