Education Secretary Arne Duncan Appoints Members to the National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity (NACIQI)
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan today announced five appointments to the National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity (NACIQI).
NACIQI advises the Secretary on accreditation issues and the eligibility and certification process for institutions of higher education. It is charged with recommending to the Secretary which accrediting or specific state approval agencies should be recognized as reliable authorities for judging the quality of postsecondary institutions and programs. Schools must be approved by a recognized accrediting agency to be eligible to participate in federal student aid and other federal programs. Students attending these postsecondary schools receive some $150 billion in grants, loans, and work-study opportunities.
"This committee plays a crucial role in ensuring that accrediting agencies have the highest standards for evaluating the schools and programs they accredit," said U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. "I am confident that the committee members announced today will put their talent and skills to work in making sure that accrediting agencies focus on measures of a quality education for students at career and technical schools, colleges and universities."
The Committee's new members, appointed for a six-year term, are:
- Simon Boehme, student member, from Kalamazoo, Michigan, and currently a student at Cornell University; and,
- Roberta (Bobbie) Derlin, Associate Provost, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico
Incumbent members re-appointed for a six-year term are:
- Susan Phillips, provost and vice president for academic affairs, University at Albany, State University of New York;
- Frank Wu, chancellor and dean, University of California Hasting College of the Law, San Francisco, Calif.; and,
- Frederico Zargoza, vice chancellor of economic and workforce development, Alamo Colleges, San Antonio, Texas.
The National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity (NACIQI) is an 18-member committee with membership appointed equally by the Secretary of Education, the Senate, and the House of Representatives. The Committee meets twice a year, and its next meeting is Dec. 12-13.