The U.S. Department of Education today announced the award of $3.95 million to support colleges and universities serving Asian Americans and Native American Pacific Islanders through the Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions Program. The program supports projects such as curriculum development, campus construction, lab equipment acquisition, tutoring, distance learning and Internet service enhancements.
"These funds will help lay the groundwork for improving job opportunities for Asian American and Native American Pacific Islanders by giving them the skills they need to compete in the 21st century, global economy," said U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan.
The grants will help fund various efforts including:
- Faculty exchanges, faculty development, and faculty fellowships to assist in attaining advanced degrees
- Purchase of library books, periodicals, and other educational materials. Tutoring, counseling, and student service programs designed to improve academic success
- Joint use of facilities, such as laboratories and libraries.
- Establishing or improving a development office to strengthen or improve contributions from alumni and the private sector
- Establishing or improving an endowment fund
- Creating or improving facilities for Internet or other distance learning academic instruction capabilities, including purchase or rental of telecommunications technology equipment or services
For more information on the Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions Program, see http://www2.ed.gov/programs/aanapi/index.html.
Following is a list of the grant recipients.
Office Of Postsecondary Education
Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions Program
- American SamoaPago PagoAmerican Samoa Community College, $400,000
- Calif.CupertinoDe Anza Community College, $399,951
- Calif.HaywardCalifornia State University, East Bay, $192,798
- Calif.SacramentoCalifornia State University, Sacramento, $282,593
- Calif.San JoseSan Jose State University Foundation, $391,697
- Calif.Santa ClaraMission College, $400,000
- Calif.WalnutMt. San Antonio College, $400,000
- HawaiiHiloUniversity of Hawaii at Hilo, $399,977
- Ill.ChcagoUniversity of Illinois, $396,002
- PalauMendalaiiPalau Community College, $290,377
- Wash.SeattleSouth Seattle Community College, $399,925