The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is now taking applications for the 2013 NIST Summer Institute for Middle School Science Teachers. The NIST Summer Institute is a two-week workshop for middle school science teachers featuring hands-on activities, lectures, tours, and visits with NIST scientists and engineers in their laboratories.
Teachers who participate in the NIST Summer Institute gain:
• Increased understanding of the subjects they teach
• Increased understanding of how scientific research is performed
• Materials and resources to implement what they learned at NIST in their classrooms
• Increased enthusiasm for science
• A network of scientists and engineers at NIST with whom to consult.
Teacher participants will receive a stipend of $2000 and for teachers that live more than 50 miles from NIST funding for housing and travel will be provided.
For more information see our website at http://www.nist.gov/iaao/teachlearn/ and see the link on the left side of the page to the Application Process. Note that individual teachers cannot apply and that all applications must be sent through the teacher’s school district. The application deadline is March 20, 2013.
And something new this year: a video about the NIST Summer Institute! See http://youtu.be/Ciov-EVxgnw.