Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions play a critical role in our system of higher education, in our communities, and in securing our nation’s economic growth.
Find Eligible AANAPISIs
View AANAPISI location in a larger map
What are AANAPISIs?
The President believes that earning a post-secondary degree or credential is no longer just a pathway of opportunity for a talented few, but rather a prerequisite for the growing jobs in our economy.
To achieve this goal, we must focus on underserved students who are the fastest growing demographic, but also have the lowest rates of college attainment. Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) are a class of institutions that have minority populations and represent the best vehicle to target these communities. MSIs are a gateway for underserved communities, and AANAPISIs reach low-income AAPI students in ways that matter more –retention, graduation, language access, and mentoring. The Administration has shown a strong commitment to AANAPISIs by
- Re-establishing the Initiative in 2009 and designation to the AANAPISI program
- Increasing funds allocated to AANAPISI programs by 62 percent
- Encouraging federal agency grant opportunities for AANAPISIs
WHIAAPI believes that it is important to build the capacity of AANAPISIs—through technical assistance webinars, expanded access to federal programs, and practice-sharing.
- Webinar: Application Overview–October 8, 2014 @ 3:00 pm EDT: Overview: Part 1 Q & A: Part 2
- Webinar: Designation-First Steps to becoming an AANAPISI– February 25, 2014 @ 3:00 pm EDT
- Webinar: FAFSA it’s QUICK, EASY, FREE and it HELPS!–March 20, 2014 @ 3:00 p.m. EDT
- To read up on AANAPISIS, visit the Past Newsletters
- To learn how to elevate your voice and help your community, visit the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
- For more information on the Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions, visit Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions Program.