1098-E Tax Form

Student loan interest payments are reported on the IRS Form 1098-E, Student Loan Interest Statement.

If you made federal student loan payments in 2013, you may be eligible to deduct a portion of the interest you paid on your 2013 federal tax return.

Loan Servicing Information—Reporting Student Loan Interest Payments for 2013

Information from the IRS

Student Loan Servicer

Your student loan servicer (who you make payments to) will provide a copy of your 1098-E if the interest you paid in 2013 exceeded $600.

  • Your servicer may send you your 1098-E via U.S. Postal Service or electronically.
  • Check with your servicer if you haven't yet received your 1098-E for 2013.
  • If you are unsure who your loan servicer is, visit www.nslds.ed.gov or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY 1-800-730-8913).
  • Note: If you had multiple loan servicers in 2013, you will receive a separate 1098-E from each servicer.

Additional Information

  • The IRS provides tax benefits for education. They can be used on tuition or loan interest or to maximize your college savings.

  • A list of Federal Student Aid servicers for the Direct Loan Program and for FFEL Program Loans purchased by the U.S. Department of Education is available on our Loan Servicer page.

  • For more information about student loan interest deduction, visit the IRS's Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center.

  • The 1098-T, Tuition Statement form reports tuition expenses you paid for college tuition that might entitle you an adjustment to income or a tax credit. Information on the 1098-T is available from the IRS at Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement.

   Posted in